Want to be happy? Play with grandkids

 

Alina and Thea Rodewald, now 14 months old.

    No one would describe me as particularly maternal. I lost my mother at an impressionable age and was raised by my father. I never considered myself much good at babysitting.

   That's until grandkids arrived and I had time on my hands.

    Today, I find a lot of joy in being around and playing with the three young girls, youngest of the nine wonderful grandkids we have.

    I call the youngest Rodewald daughters -- who recently celebrated their first birthday -- the "Gerber babies" and they are a busy duo. These days they are taken with magnetic toys and I find I enjoy playing with them, a lot!

    This approach is not a bad idea if you have a baby in your life.

    According to firstthingsfirst.org, love is the most important thing grandparents can offer. That's not too surprising. Babies and toddlers need unconditional love, regular support and interaction from grandparents (and parents) in order for healthy brain development. 

    Research also shows such a relationship leads to longer, happier lives for the grandparents.

    The Rodewald twins' older sister is Myla, who is 4.5 years old. She's a hoot! Next time I see her I promised to race her down the block. She flies along on a scooter and I will run as fast as I can. 

    The helpmegrowutah.org website indicates that a study, from Oxford University, shows that when grandparents stay involved in their grandchildren's lives, the children had increased sense of well-being and fewer emotional or social problems.

    Both my husband, Steve, and I had great grandparents. My Grandpa Bill Hebner lived to be nearly 100 years old. I visited him every Sunday when our family lived in Edina, Minn. Grandpa used to give me a shiny penny and a piece of Fanny Farmer chocolate candy. He was also a big fan of the Minnesota Twins, and so am I! (That team is in the American League playoffs right now).

    My paternal grandmother, Dagny Nelson Cox, raised roses and won wide acclaim with her Green Thumb. I like to think my love of gardening came from her.

    Steve's grandparents, Buster and Gladys Miller, lived near him and his family, in Wilton, Iowa. The Millers resided in Tipton and Steve grew up, hanging out with Buster, helping Buster, and the like. 

    Iowa families often have close relationships between grandparents and grandchildren.

    If you do have young grandkids, here are a few ideas to keep them busy, courtesy of healthy children.org

    When the children are 10-12 months old:

    1. Play ball: Seat the baby on the floor with a ball between his or her legs. Show the baby how to roll the ball in your direction. Roll it back Keep this up as long as the baby is interested.

    2. March on: When seated, stand the baby on your thighs and slowly make stepping motions by moving your legs up and down, one side at a time. Sing a favorite song.

    3. Flashlight: Shine a flashlight on the wall. Once the baby sees the light, move it slow from one side of the room to the other, and then up and down. This encourages visual tracking.

    4. Drums: Cover an oatmeal box or coffee can with colorful contact paper and use plastic baby spoons as drumsticks. An easier method: Give the baby a saucepan and wooden spoon.

    Show the baby different ways to tap the drum using the palms of your hands, fingertips or a baby spoon. See if the child can imitate you.

    Have fun with the grandchildren!

The three Rodewald girls at our home, in July:
That's Myla, Alina and Thea.


  

    

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair: A love/hate story from one perspective

End of an (wonderful) era

Why a "community" matters, especially in later life