"Iowa Nice," in action

 

The Iowa DOT office in Davenport. This is where you go,
in Scott County, Iowa, when you need help
with your Iowa Driver's License.

    I often think that my brain works in thirds: One part looks ahead, one part is in the present, and one considers the past, history, etc.

    This translates to occasional "dumb" mishaps. The latest was a few incidents where I managed to lose, not one, not two, but three important cards. This was discovered over a period of days when the many cards I had fell out of a cute little, old card holder. 

    I have no idea when, or where.

    Disappeared: The Iowa Driver's License, a Citi Visa card and my bank's debit card.

    This was a catastrophe of sorts. The cards are more important than you might think, but after a lot of panic, I researched the solutions and now, all is better. (As one example: When you lose a Driver's License, you can carry a passport around to prove your identity.)

    Turns out, when you lose a Driver's License, you really need an appointment to get a replacement. This was pretty easy to do, and my appointment was 8:30 a.m. Thursday, May 30.

    I arrived on the dot of 8:30 a.m. and joined a long line of persons entering the building at 902 W. Kimberly Rd., Davenport. 

    We who had appointments zipped through the entry process -- so if this happens to you, I'd definitely suggest it.

    I waited maybe 15-20 minutes before my number was called. Nervous, I sat before a very nice worker in the office, and explained I needed a replacement. She could tell from her computer, of course. It turns out folks like me do not have to take an eye exam, but do get a photo taken. (My photo is awful, as usual!)

    I was asked to pay $10 to get the temporary license as a new one will be mailed in.

    Sure! I got out my American Express card and the worker looked a bit horrified.

    "We don't take American Express," she said. "Do you have a checkbook?"

    Uh ... no. Not with me anyway. 

    I did have about $7.50 in cash, but had not had a chance to get the debit or Visa cards in working order. We were out of town all Memorial Day weekend and had only gotten home late Tuesday.

    Flustered, I said I'd run home (25 minutes away), and start the process over.

    Out of the blue, a kind woman sitting nearby overhead this conversation. "I've got a Discover Card," she said as she approached us. "I can use it!"

    With much, appreciation, she paid the $10 fee and I reimbursed her $7.50.

    She would not hear of being reimbursed.

    Thinking quickly, I exited the area after telling this angel that I would add her to my nightly prayers.

    Iowa Nice? Yes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair: A love/hate story from one perspective

Goodbye, Blogger.com

Why a "community" matters, especially in later life